July 17, 2007

Of sound mind, yeah right??

Well, what a day, what a week? I think my brain has gone into hybernation. It seems like a real effort to concentrate on the little things these days. I filled in a form today but I'd got the instructions wrong... so had to get new ones! I visited a really good friend for lunch but had trouble remembering her husbands name??? And then I redid my blog and put my email address in wrong? Geez.
Lucky I updated my Will and made Enduring Power of Attorney's recently. Maybe I knew something was ahead of me. Not that I'm planning on dying, but I might need my EPA if my brain doesnt wake up soon. But then I'm crazy now so how will anyone know when I cross the line haha. People at the restaurant where I had my 50th must have thought I was nuts!
Its a long story but I had to live up to my reputation. I sent out invites for my 5th birthday and then turned up at the restaurant with bobby socks, fairy wings, a tiara, even a hanky pinned to my top. I looked absolutely hideous but it all started on my 4oth, ten years ago.
My lovely kids decided they would throw a party for me, a Birthday Roast so all my friends could come and tell stories about the crazy things I'd done to them and others. I love playing jokes and making people laugh!
To top it all my lovely kids shouted me to Nelson the week before the party (to get me out of town) and told me I would be picked up to go the party when all the guests had arrived. Well I was a bit nervous, No, a lot nervous about that. But geez the brain worked overtime.
On the night I dressed in my new clothes and said goodbye to the family who went to the hall to greet the guests. I quickly changed and when my Dad came to pick me up he found Mother Teresa waiting for him. He was dumstruck! I arrived at the hall, to a standing ovation but you can imagine. It wasnt me, It was a nun complete with rosary beads and a walking stick! And it had the desired effect. Only three people told stories and they were all family!! haha. Noone could relate me to Mother T... of course if I'd worn my angel wings ten years ago they might have recognised me easier haha!
Off to the first surgeon tomorrow. Hopefully I will get a referral to a plastic surgeon in Wellington so fingers crossed. Every day is another day closer to being free of the Big C! Theres a jingle for ya! Cheers everyone. Thanks for your kind thoughts and best wishes today. X

13 comments:

Sandra said...

Good luck with the surgeon!

I've come to your site from a recommendation by Chris.

Sending positive vibes from London, UK...

Sandra.

Chris H said...

OOO good luck for tomorrow Karen, though I am sure it will all go smoothly... woo hoo, lose a boob, hoepfully get one back! (In the right size of course, can't have you lopsided) !!!!

FatBlokeThin said...

Hope everything goes really well with the surgeon. No such thing as luck - you'll be fine!

angelfish24 said...

Came to say hi from Chris H blog. I'm sorry to hear of your cancer and hope the operation is soon and you can have reconstruction. I can't imagine how you must feel.
I see to have cancer all around me. My uncle was diagosed with esophogeal cancer this year, my friend has been battling breast cancer for 4 yrs and and it was a fast moving cancer and is losing her battle. A friend of my sister's just got a double mascectomy and is awaiting her test results to see if it spread. It is horrible and I wish for a cure someday soon! Stay strong, it sounds like you are and I will check back in with you.

Anne said...

Hope all goes well with the surgeon, sending you positive thoughts. No wonder your brain is forgetting things with all that's going on. Hope the surgeon can reassure you. Take care.

Felicity said...

Hi Karen of course you are gonna be a bit defuddled you have A LOT OF YOUR MIND of late. I cracked up hearing about your 5{50th} birthday. Cyber Hugs

Lee-Anne said...

What a great sense of humour you have Karen. That will see you thru this, that's for sure.

I've come via Chris.

Just to let you know, my mum had breast cancer and she had a partial mascetomy. She was in her early 40's. That was 20 years ago and she is still going strong. My sister and I have been screened regularly since because of it. Positive attitude I reckon has a lot to do with it. I think you have an abundance of that.

Hope all goes well tomorrow. Will be thinking of you.

Suzy said...

Hope all goes well at your visit to the surgeon.

Lyn said...

Hi Karen,

I think you have an amazing attitude! Like the others have said there is so much power in staying positive. But in saying that don't be scared to be REAL on here. That's what blogs are for, giving you that place to vent out when you need to.

Good luck for the surgeons visit. I'm sure it will feel good for you that something is being achieved and closer to being rid of Big C.

**Mellisa** said...

You're crazy!! lol ....
Good luck for your appointment with the plastic surgeon....!! Thinking of you!

Chris H said...

Hee hee, I will come around probably tomorrow night and help ya "tart" this poor sad looking blog up for you! Whooop about seeing the plastic surgeon next week... so fast!

celtic_girl said...

Best of luck with the surgeon,sending you good vibes across the Tasman

Margaret said...

Go Girl,
Love you too bits. If any one can beat the big C you can!!!!!
Love from Margaret.