July 19, 2007

What an amazing journey this is!

I feel so humble.
Since being diagnosed I have had people constantly offering to help in any way, ringing to support me, calling in to visit, offering support in the future when I need it. And today in the post I received a gift from someone I've never met but know of through an online quilting group.



Heres the beautiful pincushion and tools holder she made me using "Quilt for a Cure" fabric for Cancer. I opened the parcel and cried. I know that people care but it really is overwhelming. My online quilt group are even making heart blocks for me, that I can sew into a quilt to remember this experience. I was told "Its the quilting culture. To show we care about you". I feel undeserving as there are so many women who are really suffering through cancer but I am still fit and well and once I have this surgery there is a 90% chance I will be cancer free without treatment.

Tonight I've been to my patchwork group and finally cut out some blocks for a row swap, which are way overdue. They need to be posted next week at the latest. I have a sewing bee that I host on Saturday so I can spend the whole day catching up on what I havent done in the last 3 weeks! No excuses! I think it will motivate me to get cracking. Working with fabric and colour is really healing and makes me feel good because I can be creative and achieve something.


This is one I made last year for my neice's wedding present. Their colours were burgundy and blue at the wedding so I used them predominantly in the quilt. It was a huge surprise for them. I told Stacey I was making a patchwork outfit to wear to the wedding and the poor girl believed me! Don't know why?


Well I've felt a little less foggy today. I had an amazing sleep last night. Slept till 5am instead of 4 so felt a little brighter when I got up. But when I was looking at clothes during my lunchhour and I saw a gorgeous blouse rather transparent, I thought "I'll never be able to wear one of those as people will see I won't have a nipple"... but as usual a friend cheered me up with their comment "Put a M&M on your boob and noone will know the difference"?? Haha I guess if I was hungry I'd always have a snack close by.
I love my friends! Thanks to all of you too for your comments today. This is a fantastic way of sharing my journey!
Karen
PS Can someone tell me how to search for other blogs through this site???

4 comments:

FatBlokeThin said...

Don't be surprised you have friends!

'You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe deserve your love and affection.' Buddha

Chris H said...

Isn't that so lovely??? Awwwwww. I am not sure how you go about finding other blogs to do with cancer... maybe you can google "breast cancer blogs" and see what comes up? Have a lovely day.

Chris H said...

I just googled and found http://www.healthcentral.com/breast-cancer/weblogs.html there is a list of people who have a blog about their breast cancer experience etc. there were lots more site too, so go check it out.

Margaret said...

Hang on in there. Not long now and you will have a better idea of what's going to happen and that will help.Love you too bits.
Margaret.